Classical Pilates Instructor
This job opening is for an employee position consisting of 15-30 hrs per week of Pilates instruction (the vast majority of the hours) plus a small amount of marketing assistance. Training will be provided for the marketing part.
These hours are guaranteed. In cases where you have no bookings for a particular class you’re scheduled to teach, you’ll have planned marketing-related tasks to work on.
Note: the studio is closed for 3 weeks per year – one week at the end of August and two weeks at Christmas. Additional vacation time can be negotiated.
October 2021. Your classes will gradually ramp up until the Christmas break. After the Christmas break, you’ll be teaching your full schedule.
- Teaching 5-person group classes, private classes and duet classes (on mat, tower, reformer, chair, pedi pole, barrels, etc). All classes are 55 minutes with a 5 minute transition time in between.
- Early morning, evening and Saturday class times are shared evenly amongst all instructors. You’ll be expected to work a portion of these “undesirable” times. Exact teaching schedule is to be negotiated.
- Setting up equipment before your first class of the day and doing any tidying up needed in the 5-minute transition between classes. Clients help with equipment cleaning.
- Vacuuming the floor
- Assisting with sales to clients who are onboarding by talking about what comes next should they want to continue with classes after their onboarding process is complete
- Participating in regular staff meetings (paid)
- Participating in photo/video shoots for marketing purposes (paid, and don’t happen often)
- Completion of marketing tasks (as explained in the summary section, above)
- Upkeep of National Pilates Certification Program certification
- Graduated from a well-regarded Classical Pilates teacher training program of 450 hours or more
- Certified on all equipment and mat
- National Pilates Certification Program certified (or willing to get it)
- Current CPR C and First Aid
- Minimum one-year teaching experience in a fully equipped studio (not including hours taught in teacher training program)
- Experienced teaching both group and private classes with a high skill level
- Skilled at modifying the Pilates repertoire for client limitations (examples: neck pain, limited shoulder ROM, wrist pain). Note that Tone Pilates is a fitness-based studio and all new clients are screened for injuries. We’ll do our best to make sure you never have a new client who is unfit for the class.
- Punctual and reliable
- Team player
- Friendly, outgoing and motivational
- Committed to professional development and continuing education
- Have a legal right to work in Canada
- Computer/internet literate
- Have an Apple or Android smartphone with space for a few work-related apps
- Teacher training program was more than 450 hours
- A background in other fitness/movement/health modalities (examples: dance, personal training, yoga, swimming, martial arts, etc)
- Marketing and/or sales experience
- Robust LinkedIn profile (many recommendations, testimonials, etc)
Compensation & Benefits
- $43-48 /hour (inclusive of vacation pay, EI + CPP)
- Health Spending Account (HSA) of $1500-$3000 /year
- An extra $1 /hour for exclusive use towards Pilates/movement workshops
- One group class /week that you can book as far in advance as you want. One additional group class /week that you can book 24 or fewer hours in advance.
- Use the studio to teach family members or friends twice-weekly (Free for them. Outside of your regular availability).
- Pilates Anytime account access
- Wages paid via direct deposit